It’s finally arrived! Thursday this week is the day we celebrate everyone’s birthday – because it’s not anyone’s birthday (shades of Alice in Wonderland)
Here’s the notice that went home today:
Quite some time ago the class voted to celebrate everyone’s birthday – on a day when no one is having a birthday! We’re calling it the “Un-Birthday”. We’re doing this so that everyone in class, even those whose birthdays fall in the summer or on a school holiday, can celebrate their birthday in class. The class chose this Thursday, November 23rd as the date for our “Un-Birthday”!
On that day, students are preparing to bring to class deserts that are birthday-like – cupcakes, muffins, cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. Drinks, veggie, fruit and/or cheese plates are welcome too! There is no need for everyone to bring enough for all of the children. A dozen or so items it just fine – and this is a voluntary activity. It’s up to individual students if they wish to participate.
It’s going to be fun –
and a “Happy Un-birthday to You, too! ”
1.) Prepare for the science quiz on chapter 2 in the textbook on simple machines. Use the work in your Science duotang to study.
2.) Continue to take notes and prepare your materials for our vacation project. The details for this assignment were handed out a week ago and are in your SS duotangs or new vacation project duotangs.
… was officially announced today! To find out details and deadlines about the project, check out your child’s social studies duotang or vacation project
The homework for tonight? Go on a treasure hunt for facts about your chosen province or territory!
Hint: See the information in the vacation project hand out about “chapter 1” for details on what sort of information students are hunting for.
… is after recess tomorrow, and you are invited.
Students who are participating in the service have been asked to wear a white shirt or blouse, black long pants or black skirt and dark shoes (if they have them).
BTW The homework for tonight is to simply study for tomorrow’s spelling test and to spend 30 minutes or so practising math skills with Mathletics online.
…is an online way to practice numerous math skills. EMJS has a license for it until the end of November.
Students in our class each have an account and are enjoying using it in class.
They were asked to do Mathletics at home tonight for 30 minutes or so.
Hopefully they’ll have remembered their passwords & user names! 🙂
A new spelling worksheet!
… online times facts practice games!
It’s time for students to improve the speed and recall accuracy of their basic times facts. Tonight, using our classroom blog, they can practice times facts using the online games that are on the right side bar of this blog page. Look for the section called “Practice Math Facts”. Students should practice with these games for at least 30 minutes tonight!
* There’s no homework tonight or tomorrow night.
* A social studies quiz was announced today. It will be next Monday. The study sheet for the quiz was handed out today. It should be in student doutangs.
* Soon, there will also be a surprise quiz on the capitals of Canada’s provinces and territories. Students will not need to spell them, just match them correctly.
* Individual photo retakes are this Thursday morning.
* We are skating this Thursday afternoon. We will walk to the OB rec center around 12:50, and leave it around 2:30. The class is legally required to have two parents volunteers who will walk with us to and from the rec center. Please let me know ASAP if you can help us!
* FYI – If students wish they may bring a small Halloween treat for the class to enjoy for dessert at lunch tomorrow but it is absolutely not required.
* Tomorrow is “orange and black day”. If students so wish they may decorate themselves with those colors. It is not a costume day for students.
* And finally, thank you to everyone who helped make my birthday a special one!! 🙂 What a lovely class this is!!
The kids reported she had very soft fur (they expected bristly).
There is a brief adding practice for homework tonight.