Our class, and others, have two more swimming dates booked. The next swim date is May 22. The final swim date is June 23. Both dates are in the afternoon.
Legally,for safety reasons, we need 2 parents to walk with us on to Oak Bay Recreation Centre, each trip. As of now, one parent has volunteered to come with us on May 22. None have volunteered for June 23.
Since before Christmas, EVERY kid in Grade 4 and 5 in both French and English has been working to design and perform an original science experiment. That’s way over 100 EMJS students!
This Friday is the culmination of all of their efforts. That’s the “WonderFair”, a glorious day where all of the marvelous efforts by students (and staff) will be on display for the whole school community! The gym will be packed full of kids showing off their science experiment display boards.
All of the classes will drop by during the day, and all parents are invited too. Do come, I think you’ll find it fun! Former students from Monterey Middle School have been invited, as has special guest climate scientist and local MLA Dr. Andrew Weaver (who will visit in the afternoon block)
The WonderFair will be open this Friday, from 9:30 to 10:20, from 10:45 to 11:50 and from 1:00 to 2:00. Bring everyone you know – all ages are welcome!!
To whet your whistle, have a look at this mindmap. Students were asked to brainstorm one word answers to the statement, “Science is…”.
WE INVITE YOU TO ADD YOUR IDEAS BY COMMENTING!
WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO THE PHRASE…
…studying times facts 10-15 minutes a day, and preparing for our special Spanish word spelling test (Thanks to our newish student Irene for that fun list!).
We are nearly finished our 2nd term class novel, “Shiloh”. As well as the above studying, the homework for tonight is to compare and contrast two of the main character in the book, Judd and Marty. A Venn diagram worksheet was explained and sent home with students for this purpose. It’s due tomorrow (Thursday).
If parents are curious to see if their child is improving in her or his recall of times facts, they should check the clear pocket of the student’s agenda book. The most recent tests were handed back marked on Monday, with a reference as to how that test compared to the one the class took about a week ago. Almost everyone in the room improved! 🙂
Did you hear our class will be in the school production of the “Wizard of Oz”? Ask your child what song we will be performing!
Finally, stay tuned for news about our EMJS “WonderFair” on Feb. 13th. It’s built around exciting kid-made Science experiments, and every Fr. and Eng. class in grades four and five are participating. Wowza!!
Hello parents of Division 2,
Please fill out and return the family contact information forms brought home by your child if you have not yet done so. I have received approximately half of them to date. This information will allow me to get out important class and school event information to you quickly via email. Also a reminder that October 22nd is the DEADLINE for donating to our Fall Raffle Basket. Our them is Glamour Girls. Cash/cheque donations can be made at the office or you can donate a class theme item in the box placed in our classroom.The raffle basket ticket sales are a huge fundraiser for the school.
Thanks for your support in helping to make this fundraiser a success!
Here are some updates for the month of October.
1) Hot Dog Day orders are due October 8th, payment is due Oct 10th. Sign up at https://sites.google.com/a/emjspac.ca/hot-lunch/home
2) Pizza/ Sushi day is Oct 8th. We need help delivering food to the classrooms … Please email Kelly (pizza/ sushi parent volunteer extraordinaire) at email@example.com if you can help for any of the upcoming pizza/sushi days.
3) Fall Dance is October 30 (5-8pm)
10 FREE Raffle basket tickets are available for your child(ren) if you sign-up to volunteer. The free tickets will be available for pick up at the raffle tickets sales table at the dance. Sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f49aaab28a7f49-fall2
4) Fall Raffle Baskets – one of our big fundraisers – are in need of donations. Our class theme is GLAMOUR GIRLS (hair accessories, nail polish, scrap booking supplies, etc). Please donate an item in our class box or drop off cash/ cheque (payable to EMJS PAC) at the school office. Boxes will be in classes by Oct 14th and cash/cheque donations can be made at office up until OCT 22nd. Thanks for your support on this!
5) Thrifty Food smile cards are ready to go! Pre-pay this card at Thrifty’s customer service, then use it for all purchases at Thrifty’s. Last year, this program earned $2,500 for EMJS activities. You can use last years card or pick up a new one at the office.
6) Other October Dates
Oct 13 – Thanksgiving no school
Oct 14 – individual photo day
Oct 15 – hot dog day
Oct 22 – pizza/ sushi day
Oct 22 – raffle basket donations due
Oct 23 – PAC meeting in library 7:00
Oct 24 – Pro-D Day – no school
Oct 29 – hot dog day
Oct 30 – fall dance
Oct 31 – black and orange spirit day
About a swimming field trip to Saanich Community Pool with Mr M’s gr 4/5 class!
Homework for tonight is to work on the research reports.